söndag 3 januari 2016

Re-re-reading Wittgenstein´s Investegation

I have a great copy of Wittgenstein´s Investegations, a parallell text with German on the left page and English on the right. The translation is by G.E.M Anscombe, a contemporary philosopher and friend of Wittgenstein and if I remember correctly he spent some nights staying at her home.

My current reading is intended to sort out some accusations against Rorty, that he reads stuff into the text that which there, a common accusation against him. Yet every time I pick up a book by an author Rorty mentions I get the feeling that the author is getting at what Rorty is getting at, rather than the other way around. Maybe it is some kind of bias, I dont know.

To cite an example that I cannot help but to read in a Rortian fashion:


  • 491. Not: "without language we could not communicate with one another" - but for sure: without language we cannot influence other human beings in such-and-such ways; cannot build roads and machines, and so on. And also: without the use of speech and writing, human beings could not communicate.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar